Monday, August 22, 2005

Codex

At the recommendation of Robust McManlyPants I recently read Lev Grossman's Codex. I have to admit that I haven't been reading much lately, though I'm not sure why. I have a huge reading list to get through, but lately I've just not getting interested by much. Since I had enjoyed a previous recomendation of The Devil in the White City, I figured it was worth a read.

Now that I've finished the book, my feelings are kind of mixed. I love the idea of this book. It's a great story. And for the most part it's executed well. However, when I got to the end, I had to go back twice to reread the last chapter because I thought I had missed something. I reread it again, nope, I didn't miss anything. It's a sloppy ending. My other complaint is that I really despised our main character (and several other major characters, fwiw), because he was an idiot and I kept wanting to scream at him.

That being said, I can't say that I didn't enjoy this book. I love books and video games, and a mystery involving them both is an intriguing read. I'd have to say on this one that it's worth a read, however, be prepared to be disappointed.

My two cents.


1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Robust McManlyPants said...

I can't agree more. Pardon the pun, but it's an idea that must have looked great on paper. Add that it was fun to read for most of it (when I wasn't trying to choke the main character to death) and the personal-fantasy element of wishing it were my job, for one week, to catalogue old books, and it seems perfect.

Then, all of a sudden, it isn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home