Thursday, September 01, 2005

New Orleans

I had plans to go to New Orleans in April. I have a group of friends who I like to travel with (it's kind of a bit like taking home with you when you go away), and we were in the begining stages of planning a road trip to New Orleans sometime between Mardi Gras and Jazzfest, when there would be less people.

I'm thinking this trip is not going to happen now.

And I'm sad, selfishly I know, because on my list of places I *really* wanted to see, New Orleans was in the top five, and I foolishly (hindsight) passed up an opportunity to go earlier this year.

But regardless of how this fucks with my vacation plans, this has been a devestating tragedy.

It' s hard to fathom just how bad this really is. Not just for New Orleans, but all of the areas affected by the Hurricane. There's the obvious destruction of property and loss of life. News reports are saying that people won't be able to return to the city for 3-4 months. You have to wonder what these people are going to do - no homes, no jobs, no income. And when they can return "home", what are they really going to be returning to?

I admit to being a bit obsessed with the news at the moment. Some of it makes you laugh, like the guy who jumped from his roof into his power boat and then rescued some people who fell from a tree (i know it's a sick humor), or heartbreaking (initally, anyways) like the gentleman whose wife was "TORN FROM HIS ARMS", or just depressing, at the state of human nature when you see the looting or read about all the shootings and the rapes.

Though I imagine they will eventually be able to fix the levees and remove the water, New Orleans appears to currently be one giant toxic lake.

And that, my friends, pretty much sucks the whole way around.

3 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

The devistation and suffering is unbelievable. And please tell me the President didn't just TURN DOWN AID from other countries!!

Here's a journal from ground zero (not for the weary): Survival of New Orleans

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Wow...

Thanks for sending that link. I must admit to obsessively checking it for a bit.

What a mess...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home