Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Magic For Beginners

When I was working on my list of books to read for 2006, I came across this quote from Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link:

This is the thing she likes about backwards, You start out with all the answers, and after a while, someone comes along and gives you the questions, but you don't have to answer them. You're already past that part. That was what was so nice about being married. Things got better and better until you hardly even knew each other anymore. And then you said good night and went out on a date, and after that you were just friends. It was easier that way - that's the dear, sweet, backwards way of the world.
From that quote, I was hooked and really wanted to read this book. The funny thing is, I thought this was a novel about life going in reverse. In actuality it is a collection of very bizarre little short stories. Initally I was disapointed, I thought I had picked up the wrong title. To my amusement, I didn't realize the story I was looking for was part of the collection until the very last story.

The stories are very strange, but well-written and interesting. I'm not sure I understood a lot of the stories, but K. says that's just reason to read them again. I mean, how can a book with a story called "Some Zombie Contingency Plans" be all bad?

I wouldn't necessarily say you need to run out and buy this book now, but it is worth a read, and if you're interested, let me know and I'll loan it your way. I'd love to have someone to discuss it with.

2 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Kat said...

I am definitely interested. But you knew that. :)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Yup, and I will send it your way. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home